Monday, August 4, 2008

Day 14 - Conections with Bacon

I am watching the news when a report comes that scientists at Microsoft have theorized that everyone is connected to everyone in this world in less than 7 degrees. The easiest way to think about this is to remember the hubbub about all actors being 7 degrees removed from Kevin Bacon.
Another example might go like this - I have an aunt Jane who went to Vegas and sat next to a Japanese man at a black jack Table. This Japanese man has a brother who lives in Seattle whose wife knows via an internet chat room a woman in Texas who once educated a man named George Bush. So I have a connection to the president. (This is just an example).
What the example means is that What I do in the current moment has the ability to affect the world (through varying degrees). Thus, if this theory is correct, our greatest power is in the current moment and the choices we make. So if you want to change the world, change yourself. Sooner or later it will get to Kevin Bacon and then everybody changes (at least in the acting world). And the world of entertainment affects us all, so thus the world changes.
Now if I can just figure out how to heal Brittney, world hunger might go away.

1 comment:

Soulsearcher said...

I read about the same report in the Washington Post. Today, I just jumped out of the shower and was wrapped in a towel when the phone rang. It was a man with a heavy accent, perhaps Indian?, who was delivering a load of wood that my husband had ordered. I threw on whatever clothes I could find close by and ran out, my hair looking like a dripping mop, (I don't mind the mop part, but a dripping mop?!) and clearly, to my mind, exhibiting an attitude that showed how inconvenient this all was for me. Suddenly the man starts telling me about his wife who remembers me as one of her teachers from years ago. To say I was mortified is an understatement, but oh well, what can you do? My point is that this is an example of the 7 degree separation/"small world" concepts. At least I think it is. Considering that I barely understood him there is a chance that I have the story completely wrong.

About Me

I am a crabby old man who hates everything
or
I am a tiny wonderer in a large world
or
I am a young hippie tree-hugger
or
I am a mid-life crisis disaster area.
or
I am an attitude of stillness waiting for a wind.
or
I have not decided yet.
Powered By Blogger